My first week in rehab

After many years of avoiding the health care system, I finally came to terms with myself and realized that I needed help. On November 10, 2019 I admitted myself into the AAH for treatment for a series of health issues I was having. My life seemed to be on a downward spiral where I was becoming lost in a blur of alcohol and cannabis, and without any solid income, my state was getting progressively worse.

Months prior to checking in on November 10, I had written a series of short stories about my life, and how I thought it would unfold as if it were a choose your own adventure story, and in many ways the predictions I made in my stories were quite accurate. When I admitted myself, I had taken about 12 punches to the head and could barely see out of my right eye, which was swollen shut from doing stunts for the Ford vs. Ferrarri movie.

Some of my other medical concerns were my right foot, which had been stabbed in the heel during the Surf contest in Jaco, and I was pleased to see that nothing was lodged in my foot. I provided a urine sample, and also some blood samples, and received reports that my blood was good and I was in very good health.

It is now November 18, and I have spent 8 days in treatment and recovery here at the AAH and my eye is now back to seeing clearly, and my mind free of aggression and anxiety. Being sober these last 8 days has been a first for me since I left Canada over a year ago to travel the Americas, where I often drank 5-8 beer per day. Having went for a walk to Tim Hortons today, I saw the outside world and felt that the time I had spent in the hospital was enough courage for me to face the world and be strong about denying my addictions.

After a short psychiatric survey, I realized that further treatment would probably hamper my progress in finding a steady income, however, it may prove to be more beneficial in the long run if I can manage to maintain some sort of Social Assistance Program.

The hospital has been quite a treat, with 3 full meals a day, and often a few snack times, as well as a fridge laden with juices and pudding and yoghurt and sanwiches, it was quite a joy to have full service meals. I started on a 5 mg dose of Zyprexa in the morning to treat my brain anguishes, and also tried some Atavin and Tylenol on nights where I was unable to sleep due to anxiety.

The nursing team was excellent for the most part, providing full-service care to the unit, and allowing for a reasonable amount of freedom given my conditions. The room I have is a nice two bedroom overlooking a treed area and gazebo decorated with lawn statues that help pass the time. There are mule deer that feed in the area and I was lucky enough to see some deer in the rut, and even saw a smaller deer break it’s antler to a larger, more mature male.

I managed to get lots of work done for the Teen Coin project including writing my SKU report, starting a Facebook and Telegram group, and testing the order book on the Saturn Exchange, proving that the currency is fully functional and ready for commercialization.

I met with an addictions Counselor on the November 13th (Paul), as well as a Social Worker (??), and Social Assistance worker (Micheal) (at the same time), and established a schedule for monitoring my addictions, as well as possibly receiving assistance while I continue to look for work. I sent about 25 emails for investing, and applied for 30 jobs, including the Unit Clerk position here at the hospital.

Dr. Klopper and the nurses and I discussed treatment options, and concluded that it may be in the best interests of everyone to have my discharged November 21, 2019, with a scheduled meeting plan with my counselor’s and a prescription. This will allow me to have a large enough break from the "outside world" to reflect on my addictions, as well as overcome and withdrawals I may have.

I am happy and thankful for all the support from my mom during the treatment program here at AAH, for bringing me gifts and food, and for the amazing staff and their patience and ability to deal with the intense environment that comes with hospital life.

While I already feel much better, I believe that taking a few more days to reflect and heal will be necessary for a full recovery.

Thank you.

Rob Chernish

Moving Forward

Leave aMessage.

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s